Monday 9 January 2017

Breaking Routine

Sorry for the blogging silence, after the Christmas break, the first week of January was extra busy.

I've still been riding and the riding has been going well. I've learned that Kachina does well with routine so we've been sticking with a pretty solid routine. Every time I go to the barn, I bring Kachina in, tie her in the same place, groom and tack up the same way, ride the same warmup, and then move onto the work of the day. It's been working, we've been having really good rides. Also, while not perfect, Kachina has been more accepting about being tied inside and her ground manners are improving.

Even though the routine is working for us, I am wary about being too consistent. Kachina will have to cope with new situations sometimes and I don't want that to be an issue.

Today was cold and snowy and I was tired. I just felt like doing something different, so I did. First I lunged Kachina. I tried something new, to reinforce our lessons about inside bend, I lunged her in a surcingle and just one inside side rein. I worked on some transitions, including canter transitions (which we aren't doing under saddle yet). Kachina wanted to get a little hollow and counterbent at first, but even though the side rein wasn't that tight, it seemed to help encourage her to accept an inside bend and more rounded frame. I don't lunge frequently, but I think the single side rein is a useful tool that I may use again, especially for canter work.

Next, I decided to throw on my bareback pad and hop on bareback. I haven't ridden bareback since early last year and I've never done much of it. I don't feel very confident bareback, and Kachina isn't always the most solid horse so I don't push it. Today I felt like trying though so I did. I was a little nervous mounting up but it went well as soon as I was on. We just walked but I got some great lateral work and 10 and 20m circles. It gave me some good insight into what I do with my hips and upper body (bracing and leaning respectively).

To end the evening I let Kachina loose in the indoor arena where she enjoyed a few good rolls (which her blanket and the snow make less satisfying outside).

Our selfie game is improving too


Overall, I had fun breaking routine today, and Kachina took the change in stride, staying nice and relaxed but focused.

Stay tuned for some goal related posts and my blogger secret santa gift (which finally arrived on Friday!)

10 comments:

  1. I too use a single side rein when I lunge. I much prefer it to two as with two Dee just shortens her neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a useful in-between solution, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it way earlier!

      Delete
  2. Routines are good to have and I hear you about also needing to accept change. I like the '1 new thing' rule: change only one thing once the routine is known so it's easier to accept. I love having a solid warm up routine because it will help to settle my horse in new situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound smart. I totally agree about the solid warm-up routine. I did the exact same warm-up bareback as I normally do and it meant that Kachina wasn't freaked out about bareback vs saddle. It's also what totally saves us when we go to a show or somewhere new.

      Delete
  3. I like having a fairly consistent warm up and use that as Stinker's security blanket in new situations. I don't use set patterns but the work builds in the same way. IDK if that makes sense because I'm sleep deprived and under caffeinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally makes sense! I have work build in the same way, but I also make use of repeating patterns because that seems to make Kachina more relaxed if she knows what's coming (and she's not one for anticipation)

      Delete
  4. Bareback rides are always fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was! (sometimes I find them a little scary though, I'm not confident enough in my stick-ability when bareback)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good way to get back at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been riding pretty steadily but hopefully I'll be back blogging more regularly now too

      Delete