|I am grateful for how well deer coexist with humans in my town|
|Yep, that's how close this one was to my car|
1. Kachina got a trim yesterday where we were able to get all four feet trimmed in 45 minutes without stressing out Kachina, the farrier or myself. This is a huge win considering Kachina's recent backslide in terms of foot handling. I completely changed my approach a few weeks ago and this showed that I am on the right path. Her feet are also looking much better this year compared to last year.
2. The weather has been spectacularly warm and beautiful this week. I thought our nice weather was over for the year and so this has been a pleasant surprise.
|This was October 3rd, but today feels like summer again|
3. I am dreading winter far less this year compared to past years. Boarding at a barn with heat, stalls, and good lighting makes the cold and dark so much less oppressive.
4. With the incoming winter weather, the barn has started to get busier in the evenings. That in addition to the weekly group jump lesson that I just started means that Kachina and I are less frequently alone and we are both enjoying that.
5. There are some perks to the new barn that I wasn't expecting, for example I don't have to haul Kachina for her fall dental work because my normal vet is scheduled to come out for a full day of dentals at my barn, all I had to do was add her to the list and then come out to hold her.
6. We had both my parents and my in-laws over to our house for Thanksgiving supper this year and I felt privileged to be able to host. Cooking and baking for a crowd gets more enjoyable and less stressful each time I do it.
|I made a banoffee (banana toffee) trifle for dessert!|
7. My husband has always wanted a hot tub and we recently got one. I wasn't sure how much I would like it but it's actually pretty awesome for warming up and relaxing after a long ride/evening at the barn.
8. Kachina has been taking to the jump work really well and it's a great change of pace. I think the cross training is good for Kachina but even better for me mentally.
|Look at her rocking back on her hind legs|
9. There might not be as many options as I would like, but I am in a position where I can make some choices about who I do or do not want to ride with instructor-wise and I need to appreciate and utilize those choices.
10. The recent clinic did have some good components: I now have a walk to canter transition and a better trot to canter transition. I also have a better feel for when I am using my elbow or wrist in the contact which will hopefully help me to self correct and use my elbows more consistently.
11. The gross lateral trot and canter have not reappeared for a few rides even when upping the intensity. I hope we can keep them at bay permanently.
12. Two pairs of breeches recently died completely (after many years of use) - this might sound like a bad thing but I have forced myself not to buy breeches so many times because I had 4 workable pairs and as much as I wanted new ones I couldn't justify it. Now that I am down to 2 pairs I have a legitimate excuse to buy the nicer, more technical, prettier breeches that I have been lusting over. (Also pretty sure group lessons is also a good excuse to up my riding outfit game).
13. The colder weather has given me a reason to bust out the Dubarry boots I splurged on last spring, I <3 them.
14. My horse is sound, I am sound. I too often take this for granted. My heart goes out to all of those in blogland who are struggling with injuries or illnesses.
Hey look, I made it past 10, life is pretty good!
These are such awesome positives (especially number 2!) :)ReplyDelete
These are really great positives! Yay for successful foot handling training and I can’t wait to see your new breeches!ReplyDelete
Ahhh the weather is just so much fun right now isn't it! So hard to blanket ponies in this up and down stuff!ReplyDelete
Hot Tub? AmazingReplyDelete
These are all great things to be thankful for. I would love to know about your new approach to feet handling.ReplyDelete
I am super jealous of your hot tub. I really want one.ReplyDelete
Fantastic positives! I loved your jumping video too, looking so good!ReplyDelete
It's always good to find something, anything to be thankful for.ReplyDelete