In the last couple weeks I've visited a few barns that I thought were possibilities but turned out to be not what we are looking for for one reason or another. So yesterday I went to visit a place that I initially thought was not going to work, and it turns out I'm really glad I did. The main reason why I almost discounted this place was that they have an active lesson program and I didn't think I would be able to get any arena time. I've lived that life in a different lesson barn before and I didn't want to repeat it (ask me about the rage I used to experience when 12-12:30 was the only boarder ride time on a Saturday and I would bring my tacked up horse to the gate at noon on the dot to find a tractor harrowing). This place does still have lessons every weeknight from 4-8pm, but they have made a few key changes recently that improve my ride prospects substantially: a) the arena now closes at 10pm instead of 9pm, b) I'm allowed to share the arena with private lessons now, just not group lessons, c) they have greatly reduced their number of lessons on weekends.
I have given my notice and I am officially moving March 30th! (So I will be paying double board for a couple weeks but it will give me the Easter long weekend to help her get settled). I know that this new place is going to have its own challenges but overall I'm really excited for the change.
|Old photo of my new barn! |
Yes, I am moving from Western-World to Hunter-Jumper-Land
I could give you a pro/con list, but in the spirit of moving on and getting out of my funk, I'm just going to share the positive changes that I am looking forward to:
- Kachina has been really relaxed in the barn when I've hauled here for clinics/lessons in the past
- Indoor plumbing including hot water!
- Staff will feed supplements
- No extra charge for Elaine to come and coach me (which is good because she is planning on coming every month now)
- Kachina will be on outdoor board but I can pay for the part time use of a stall to help her cool out after a ride, etc.
- I won't be the only dressage rider! (Okay, I only know of one other dressage rider here, but still!)
- Much more active barn, Kachina will see other people much more which will hopefully help her trust issues
- Cavaletti or pole work is an option
|Kachina's past visit to new barn aisle|
|Last time we rode at new barn|
I will make sure to do a new barn tour post once I officially move.