Thursday 3 January 2019

2018 Goal Review

Legend:
Green - Completed/Success
Blue - In Progress/Almost, not quite a success but part way there  
Red - Fail

2018 Goals


Kachina

  1. Increase Kachina's trust in other people so she can be caught and handled by someone else - Success - I've talked to both owners of the horses in Kachina's pasture and they can both approach her easily, she also was caught by a stranger one day when there was confusion about who was holding what horses for the dentist (though some oats were required that time apparently)
  2. Keep Kachina happy and healthy - Success: Ongoing but pretty good, I wish she was more comfortable in the barn but 95% of the time she is happy and healthy
  3. Develop plan for Kachina for if/when I might be temporarily grounded (lease? liberty work? need to think about this) - In Progress, I don't have a solid plan here yet but doing some jumping with her and being part of regular lesson cycle gives us a step up if we need to find a leaser for her (fyi, in case you missed it, this is in case I get pregnant, which I hope will happen but hasn't yet)

Horse Community

  1. Organize a second local dressage show - Success - Complete 20/5/2018
  2. Be an active participant of my area dressage association - Success: Ongoing but yes
  3. Be an active participant of the community equestrian facility board - Success: Ongoing but yes
  4. Attend a dressage judging clinic - Success - Complete 26/8/2018
  5. Audit a clinic - SuccessAudited a jumping clinic at my barn and Charlotte Dujardin in July!


Dressage Riding

  1. Have Kachina and I improve in dressage through methods that build our cooperation and trust - Success: We had a blip where a couple bad clinics did not help with this but I call it an overall success because I listened to Kachina and made the change when I had to and things are going better now. 
  2. Improve my position and hands - Success: Ongoing (always ongoing) but I can actually say that my position and hands have improved measurably in the last year
  3. Test ride regularly to determine weaknesses - Semi-success - I did this decently until show season was done but haven't this fall
  4. Video my rides at least once a month and critique them myself - Semi-success - not every month but I do have quite a bit of video from this year
  5. Compete in at least one show - Success, competed at 3 shows
  6. Ride a First Level test that feels good (this can be at home) - Success, my best First Level test was actually ridden in the warmup ring at the Cochrane show in August


Miscellaneous

  1. Have fun - Success - not everything this year was fun but show season was really fun this year and I also started jump group lessons largely for fun
  2. Experiment again with clicker training - Fail
  3. Go on trail rides with friends - Fail - in general I am happy with moving barns but it did make me lose my best trails and trail riding friends
  4. Canter or gallop out in the fields - Fail, not this year
  5. Figure out how to mount from the ground (I know using a mounting block is better for the horse's back, but I need a solution for trail riding in bald prairie #shortpersonproblems) - Fail
  6. Settle on a boarding situation - Success - Complete 3/30/2018

Stretch Goals

  1. Show at First Level - Success - showed First level at two shows
  2. Earn above 65% at a show - Almost success - I scored 64.4% which was high score of the division that show so while I didn't break 65% I am still pretty pleased
  3. Place in a competitive class - Success - I am still really happy that I won Training Level Champion at a Bronze show

I changed up my format for 2019 goals so I will do those in a separate post. 

2 comments:

  1. you did really with your goals. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots to be proud of - you accomplished quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete