2017 Goal Review
Goals re-written with comments added in bold
- Keep Kachina happy and healthy - Semi-success - Kachina had a vet check recently and she is objectively healthy, but something is not quite right and she sometimes seems uncomfortable, investigation ongoing
- Stretch: build good topline and muscles - Semi-success - it's not better than it was but not worse either
- Stretch: do a good training level test actually at a show in front of a judge - Success! It even happened at a rated show and got us a ribbon!
- Stretch: be able to do all components of First Level Test 1 and 2 - Nope - I wouldn't sign up for First Level Test 1 yet, we have some of the pieces but they aren't together yet (but this was a stretch goal so it's not a fail that I didn't reach it)
- Stretch: host and participate in 6 clinics with Sandra in this area and go to additional clinics/lessons too - Semi-success - I was only able to organize 4 clinics with Sandra but I made up for it with other stuff!
- Stretch: Get above 65% at a show - Nope, my top score was 63.7%
- Stretch: Earn a ribbon - Success! multiple ribbons including fancy ones!
- Stretch: do a full out gallop somewhere - Semi-success - we did canter out in the fields a few times but I wasn't confident enough in her balance to go full gallop yet
- Stretch: be comfortable bareback or without stirrups at walk/trot/canter - Nope, still not here yet
- Stretch: get to a healthy weight and fitness - Semi-success - I'm a few pounds lighter and a bit fitter than I was, but still a long way to go
- Stretch: train Kachina to stand still in any situation - nope, I can get Kachina to do most things, but getting her to not do things is still a challenge
- Stretch: host a local dressage show - Success! It happened and it was even good!
Overall I would call this year a success! I liked having both goals and stretch goals. I made most of my normal goals and even met quite a few stretch ones.
As mentioned in my Note on Goals, my 2018 Goals are going to be a little different. I also broke things into a few sub-categories so that I'm focused on more than just riding goals.
- Increase Kachina's trust in other people so she can be caught and handled by someone else
- Keep Kachina happy and healthy
- Develop plan for Kachina for if/when I might be grounded (lease? liberty work? need to think about this)
- Organise a second local dressage show
- Be an active participant of my area dressage association
- Be an active participant of the community equestrian facility board
- Attend a dressage judging clinic (this should happen in August and I'm super excited!)
- Audit a clinic
- Have Kachina and I improve in dressage through methods that build our cooperation and trust
- Improve my position and hands
- Test ride regularly to determine weaknesses
- Video my rides at least once a month and critique them myself
- Compete in at least one show (level TBD)
- Ride a First Level test that feels good (this can be at home)
(These are essentially my goals to make sure that I'm on the right track with a trainer, if the training isn't helping me then I need to make a change)
- Have fun
- Experiment again with clicker training
- Go on trail rides with friends
- Canter or gallop out in the fields
- Figure out how to mount from the ground (I know using a mounting block is better for the horse's back, but I need a solution for trail riding in bald prairie #shortpersonproblems)
- Settle on a boarding situation (I've been considering a change and need to figure out the best option for both Kachina and myself)
- Show at First Level
- Earn above 65% at a show
- Place in a competitive class
Well there you have it. In some ways it's a lot of goals but I think they are good things to keep me focused and moving forward in a year with a lot going on.